Mother Marie-Rose, changing the lives of young girls through faith and determination, yesterday and today

The mission of the Marie-Rose Center is to spread the word about the life and work of Marie-Rose Durocher and the beginnings of the congregation of Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary.

Born in 1811, Eulalie Durocher, Mother Marie-Rose, knew that the girls of her time had little chance for an education. With Henriette Céré and Mélodie Dufresne, in 1843 she founded in Longueuil a congregation of educating sisters that is still active today. Pastor Moïse Brassard donated a house, which would be the cradle of an educational undertaking that knew no boundaries.

Managing initiation to religious life as well as a new educational project was not an easy task. On top of that, the pioneering women met with many obstacles, including opposition to the cause, poverty, criticism and misunderstanding. Profound faith, social open-mindedness and staunch love for youth created a solid foundation for the institute. After six years of religious life, Marie-Rose died at the age of 38, leaving a well-established congregation.

Beatified in Rome in 1982, her remains rest in the Saint-Antoine-de-Padoue Co-Cathedral in Longueuil. The areas where the congregation of Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary originated and grew are bursting with history.



The Foundation House

The old convent, the first boarding school that became the congregation house (headquarters) after the students left in 1982

The convent chapel, blessed in 1847

Historic rooms dating from 1740

The museum with its mural depicting the geography of our origins

Artifacts reminiscent of the foundress and her early helpers

The tomb containing the remains of blessed Marie-Rose Durocher can be seen in the chapel dedicated to her at the Cocathedral of Saint-Antoine-de-Padoue, located just a five-minute walk from the Marie-Rose Center.


80, Saint-Charles St East, Longueuil, QC  J4H 1H9
450 651-8104


Société historique et culturelle du Marigot